BEDFORD
ARCHITECTURAL
ARCHAEOLOGICAL
& LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY

Our Society’s foundation can be traced back to November 1888 when the Bedford Amateur Natural History Society came into being. Over the years there have been several name changes, the latest being in 2008 after the merger with the Bedford Society (founded 1966). The Society is a Registered Charity. We are a group of local people, from a wide variety of backgrounds, who share a common interest in the history and archaeology of Bedford and its neighbourhood. We are also actively involved in trying to ensure that Bedford's buildings of special architectural and historic interest are protected and to increase public awareness of their importance. We also seek to preserve the best of the present urban landscape and to oppose developments which are incongruous or otherwise unsuitable.

******* INTRODUCING THE NEW *******
BEDFORD LOCAL HISTORY MAGAZINE

Edited by Bob Ricketts CBE and published by BAALHS. Since the demise of the Bedfordshire Magazine there has been a gap for the publication of original articles about Bedford’s rich history and archaeology. For more details on where you can obtain a copy, the contents of this first edition and more, click here.





020714

Civic voice logo

BEDFORD LOCAL HISTORY MAGAZINE

MEMBERSHIP DETAILS

DETAILS OF EVENTS

CONSERVATION MATTERS

OFFICERS & COMMITTEE

CIVIC VOICE

REVIEWS OF LOCAL BOOKS

NEWSLETTER ARTICLES

BEDFORDSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL COUNCIL PUBLICATIONS

LINKS TO OTHER SITES

REPORT ON YEAR 2012 / 2013

This fine view of the Town Bridge is attributed to J H Matthiason, author and illustrator of Bedford & its Environs (1831), but it is more likely to be the work of the engraver R C Havell. Matthiason’s own drawings, reproduced in his amusing but historically inaccurate book, are of poor quality. The view shows the Town Bridge, designed by John Wing and opened in 1813, from the downstream (east) side. Horse riders, carts, coaches and carriages had to pay a toll until 1835. The road known as The Embankment was not built alongside the Swan Hotel until after 1860.

BAALHS is a founder
member of Civic Voice.

See new book review on REVIEWS OF LOCAL BOOKS PAGE Bedford Town Centre Statues by Stuart Antrobus.

Bedford Bridge in 1824.