& LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
Our Society’s foundation can be traced back to November 1888 when the Bedford Amateur Natural History Society came into being. Over the years there have been several name changes, the latest being in 2008 after the merger with the Bedford Society (founded 1966). The Society is a Registered Charity. We are a group of local people, from a wide variety of backgrounds, who share a common interest in the history and archaeology of Bedford and its neighbourhood. We are also actively involved in trying to ensure that Bedford's buildings of special architectural and historic interest are protected and to increase public awareness of their importance. We also seek to preserve the best of the present urban landscape and to oppose developments which are incongruous or otherwise unsuitable.
WE WELCOME NEW MEMBERS
Benefits of membership include:
* 2 free copies of Bedford Local History Magazine, as well as our Newsletter, keeping you up to date.
* A packed programme from September to April of interesting and entertaining talks on local history, archaeology and conservation.
* A summer programme of of outings - summer 2014 ranging from the Cromwell Museum at Huntingdon, a walking tour of Biddenham, a tour of historic Bedford High Street, led by Richard Wildman, to a coach trip to Roman and Norman Colchester.
*************** MEMBERSHIP DETAILS ***************
This fine view of the Town Bridge is attributed to J H Matthiason, author and illustrator of Bedford & its Environs (1831), but it is more likely to be the work of the engraver R C Havell. Matthiason’s own drawings, reproduced in his amusing but historically inaccurate book, are of poor quality. The view shows the Town Bridge, designed by John Wing and opened in 1813, from the downstream (east) side. Horse riders, carts, coaches and carriages had to pay a toll until 1835. The road known as The Embankment was not built alongside the Swan Hotel until after 1860.
BAALHS is a founder
member of Civic Voice.